The Department of Arts, Culture and Media offers an outstanding professional Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Visual Arts with a specialization in Fine Arts, and Graphic Design. By developing their ability to make critical observations and through exposure to various creative processes, students are provided with the opportunity to become sophisticated and productive artists, designers, and professionals.
The specialization in Fine Art focuses on providing students with an unique exposure to the expanding world of art and visual culture.
The goal of the specialization in Graphic Design is to develop practicing designers that possess the knowledge necessary to become innovative and responsible problem solvers in today complex commercial environment.
The university location in the heart of the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area makes it easy for students to take advantage of many special internship opportunities.
Instructions for the BFA portfolio review digital submission
To be considered for the degree, every high school and transfer applicant must prepare and present a digital portfolio and also include a personal statement describing their experiences in art and life, as well as their artistic and academic goals that he or she seeks to achieve through study at Rutgers-Newark.
General Guidelines for submission
- All porfolios should include a minimum of 10 digital images of original artwork. Transfer students from two or four year institutions should also include work from their college level art and design classes.
- The portfolio should demonstrate energy, intelligence, and an understanding of composition, a variety of media, and artistic commitment.
Specific instructions for submission
- Digital, photographed or scanned works of art, a personal statement (described above), and an inventory list are to be submitted electronically (email) to BFA.apply@Rutgers.Edu
- Each image must be in JPEG format at a resolution of 72dpi, and must be no larger than 1200 pixels in the largest dimension. Image files in other formats or larger than specified will be rejected.
- You may include YouTube links within the body of the email if you wish to submit mulitmedia/time-based works.
- Attach in PDF format, your personal statement. Word documents or other file formats will be rejected.
- In the body of the email, include your full name, your mailing address, your phone number and home school. Also include in the body of the email, a numbered portfolio list of the digital images you are attaching to the message. This portfolio list is to include the name of the piece, the size, the medium, the date created. The name of the piece is to coincide with the name of the attachment. For example, a file attached entitled blueshadow.jpeg, is to be listed in the body of the email as ‘blue shadow’, 12 x 19, oil on canvas, October 2014.
- If you are including a link to a video, please provide details such as running time and date created.
- The subject line of the email is to state your last name – BFA Portfolio Review Submission. For example: Campbell – BFA Portfolio Review Submission.
- Questions regarding this process is to be directed to Robert Shoup. His email is: Shoup@Newark.Rutgers.edu
- Do not send portfolio submissions to his email address – inquiries only will be accepted.
- All submissions go to BFA.firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding application dates and deadlines please view the Rutgers-Newark website BFA Portfolio Review Page here: www.ncas.rutgers.edu/bfa-portfolio-submission